mercoledì 13 dicembre 2017

A tribal police officer

Graham Green ...

from Thunderheart (1992)




  to Wind River (2017)




You know, when we were kids,
we used to play cowboys and Indians.
I was always Gary Cooper.
I didn't want to be an Indian.
The government boarding school
made sure of that.
They cut off my hair...
...washed my mouth out with soap
when I spoke my own language.
My own language, Ray.
When the ARM warriors came here,
it was an awakening.
Got the people proud of their
heritage, their elders, language.
And you call them "enemies. "

Sai Ray,
Da bambini giocavamo a indiani e cowboy.
Io facevo sempre Gary Cooper.
Non volevo essere un indiano
Non potevo esserlo nella scuola dello stato.
Mi tagliavano i capelli …
… mi lavavano la bocca col sapone
quando parlavo la mia lingua.
La mia vera lingua, Ray.
Quando è arrivato l’MDI è stato come un rischio.
Hanno reso la gente orgogliosa delle loro tradizioni,
dei loro vecchi, della loro lingua.
E tu chiami loro “nemici”.
Michael Apted, Thunderheart (Cuore di tuono), 1992

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento