lunedì 22 gennaio 2018

Making Oscar Wilde cock jokes



My darling Anne.
There's a longer letter in the dresser drawer.
 I've been writing for the last week or so. That one covers us,and my memories of us, and how much I've always loved you.
This one just covers tonight, and, more importantly, today.
Tonight I have gone out to the horses to end it. I cannot say sorry for the act itself, although I know that for a short time you will be angry at me or even hate me for it.
Please don't.
This is not a case of “I came in this world alone, and I'm going out of it alone” or anything dumb like that.
I did not come in this world alone, my mom was there, and I am not going out of it alone, cos you are there, drunk on the couch, making Oscar Wilde cock jokes.
No. This is a case, in some senses, of bravery. Not the bravery of facing a bullet down; the next few months of pain would be far harder than that small flash.
No, it's the bravery of weighing up the next few months of still being with you, still waking up with you, of playing with the kids, against the next few months of seeing in your eye how much my pain is killing you;
how my weakened body as it ebbs away and you tend to it are your final
and lasting memories of me.
I won't have that.
Your final memories of me will be us at the riverside, and that dumb fishing game which I think they cheated at, and me inside of you, and you on top of me, and barely a fleeting thought of the darkness yet to come.
That was the best, Anne.
A whole day of not thinking about it.
Dwell on this day, baby, cos it was the best day of my life.
Kiss the girls for me, and know that I've always loved you, and maybe I'll see you again if there's another place.
And if there ain't, well, it's been Heaven knowing you.
Your boy...
...Bill.


Mia cara Anne,
Una lettera più lunga, è nel cassetto del comò.
L'ho scritta nell'ultima settimana. Quella riguarda noi, e i miei ricordi su di noi, e su quanto ti ho amato. Questa parla solo di stanotte, e, cosa più importante, di oggi.
Stanotte, sono andato dai cavalli per farla finita. Non posso dire di essere dispiaciuto per la cosa in se', anche se so che per un po' sarai arrabbiata con me, o addirittura mi odierai per questo. Ti prego, non farlo.
Non si tratta di dire: “Da solo, venni a questo mondo e da solo, me ne andrò'', o qualcosa di altrettanto stupido.
Non sono venuto al mondo da solo: c'era mia madre, ne' me ne andrò da solo, perché ci sei tu, ubriaca, sul divano, facendo battute alla Oscar Wilde sul cazzo.
No, qui si tratta, in un certo modo, di coraggio.
Non il coraggio di affrontare un proiettile: il dolore dei prossimi mesi sarebbe stato molto più duro  di uno sparo fulmineo.
No, è il coraggio di soppesare se stare con te ancora, nei prossimi mesi, svegliarmi ancora con te, giocare con le bambine, oppure, nei prossimi mesi, vedere nei tuoi occhi quanto il mio star male ti uccida, come il mio corpo indebolito che mi abbandona e tu curi, sia il definitivo e duraturo ricordo di me.
Non lo permetterò.
Il tuo ultimo ricordo di me sarà, noi, sulla riva del fiume e quello stupido gioco della pesca, in cui credo abbiano imbrogliato, e io dentro di te, e tu sopra di me... e appena un fuggevole pensiero delle tenebre a venire.
E' stato il massimo, Anne. Un giorno intero, senza pensarci.
Trattieni questo giorno, baby. E' stato il più bello della mia vita.
Bacia le piccole per me.
Sappi che ti ho sempre amata e che forse ci rincontreremo in un'altra vita.
Altrimenti... be', è stato meraviglioso conoscerti.
Il tuo uomo...
Bill.
Martin McDonagh,Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Tre manifesti a Ebbing, Missouri), 2017

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento